OH MY GOODNESS. Who would have thought that we’d hit a one year anniversary!? Not us. But we’re super excited and happy and all other positive adjectives – I think giddy is a fitting one. When we began this blog we really had no idea what the reception would be like. We were happy even if 10 people read our blog, let alone 300+. We’re also constantly blown away by readers from outside of Nanaimo and Canada. Just last week we had a huge surge in readers from Slovakia. It’s pretty neat that we have that kind of reach and that people from all over the world are coming to read about Nanaimo. To commemorate our one year anniversary, we thought we’d revisit some of our favourite posts over the last year. So, whether you’ve been with us since the beginning, or are new to our blog, come take a walk down memory lane with us!
- Birthday Dinner at Riso, Yes Please! Last year I turned 22 and I went for dinner at my favourite resaturant with my family. It was so so so good as usual, then I enjoyed the sun set.
- Strawberry Picking at Nanoose Edibles Organic Farm: I love the local food movement on Vancouver Island and loved being able to pick fresh strawberries, YUM!
- Gabriola’s Thanksgiving Studio Tour: That was such a fun tour and one of the first times I took a ferry by myself. How liberating!
- Nanaimo Harbour @ Dusk: This was one of my most memorable nights last summer! It was just me, strolling and exploring our beautiful harbour, while treating myself to a delectable raspberry gelato. A perfect evening on a perfect summer’s night!
- Bonfire on the Beach! When my bff Mike came to town for a visit, we knew that a bonfire on the beach was a perfect way to catch up, while enjoying Nanaimo’s scenic landscape. So, with logs and picnic baskets in tow, we made the trek down to Blueback Beach. What a night that was!
- Herring Spawn Season: One of my more recent posts, the Herring Spawn Season was super cool to see firsthand. I’d seen photos from other local photographers from previous years, but I had always seemed to miss the season. It must have been fate that the herring run happened right in my parents new backyard!
- BONUS: Vegan Coconut Cherry Garcia: OK, so I couldn’t pare it down to three posts, so here’s a bonus one for you. This is one of my favourite summer recipes. In fact, I recently bought a bunch of coconut milk, that was on sale, in preparation for this tasty summer treat!